Building on principles gained in the 2D Animation Course, you'll add cutout animation to your skillset, learning techniques using Toon Boom Harmony’s peg and node animation system, then moving onto complex physical animations, rigging and animating bipeds and quadrupeds. With your mentor's guidance, you'll analyze strong cutout scenes and apply lessons to your own work.
By the end of this term, you will have strong understanding of advanced cutout style animation techniques, and confidence in rigging and animating characters and creatures.
Push your skills further than you thought possible in term 2. You'll jump into a variety of projects including single and two-character dialogue acting scenes using the cutout animation technique. You'll be introduced to Harmony’s FX and compositing tools, and use them to add these elements to your dialogue scenes.
By the end of this term, you will have a better understanding of how, when and why you should add FX to your animations, and have hands-on practice using Harmony's compositing and FX tools.
This final term is about getting you job-ready! Using the technique of your choice (tradigital, cutout, or both), you will be mentored in the planning and production of a short animation demo reel, which includes design and animation of multiple characters, creation of background elements, and addition of camera movement, FX, and compositing.
Students in this course receive additional 1-on-1 career support, portfolio reviews, and industry insights from CG Spectrum's Career Development Manager.
Aside from basic computer skills and a computer that meets the minimum specifications (see next question), this course requires the successful completion of the 2D Animation Course or portfolio submission demonstrating professional experience and an accompanying reel/resume. Your portfolio submission should include:
1) A demonstrated understanding of the 12 Principles of Animation. 3-5 pieces that showcase work that provides evidence of an understanding of the basic animation 'rules.'
2) A demonstrated understanding of general aesthetics and design. Evidence you have an understanding of how to compose images and present actions clearly and in an artistically pleasing way.
3) Examples of completion of basic animation exercises covered in beginner courses. Show proof of abilities to create a basic bouncing ball, flour sack, walk/run cycle, weight and timing, make basic acting choices and be able to turn key poses into fully-realized, fluid animation work.
4) The ability to show some sense of entertainment value in your work. More than just a basic understanding, your work should showcase some flair and a sense of confidence in your general understanding of timing, motion and performance in basic animation exercises.
5) A body of work (1-3 pieces at least) that show a range of skills you currently possesses. There should be enough examples in your body of work for us to make an assessment of where you are currently at and where you might be going.
If you are unsure if your skills are sufficient, send us your portfolio and we'll arrange a review by the department head and a possible student interview, depending on circumstances.
A student licence of Toon Boom will be provided for the length of the course.
You will need a computer that meets the minimum system requirements for Toon Boom.
On completion of the Advanced 2D Animation Course you will have greater confidence in your abilities and a portfolio to show employers. You will also have personalized career services with our Career Development Manager which can help when applying for junior 2D animator jobs such as:
Discover more about these 2D animation jobs, tips, and salary expectations on our careers page:
While at Disney and DreamWorks Scott animated classics like Pocahontas, Hunchback of Notre Dame and Road to El Dorado. He later won an Oscar for best special effects for Life of Pi.Read full bio
Alfredo is a 2D animator and storyboard artist who has worked on feature films like Klaus (Alfredo was the lead animator on Jesper), Song of the Sea, The Secret of Kells, and several TV shows.Read full bio
Marcel has animated for film, TV and video games since 2003 at studios across Canada and France including Bardel and Gameloft. He was also a Toon Boom instructor at studios and schools around the world.Read full bio
Montréal-based Hubert Lapointe has worked as an animator and animation supervisor on hit shows like Rick & Morty and The Ollie and Moon Show, and as a software instructor for ToonBoom.Read full bio
Based in Tokyo, Misu has worked as a storyboard artist for Pokemon Sun & Moon, Vinland Saga, Overlord II and Bleach Brave Souls.Read full bio
Todd is a thirty year veteran of the Hollywood 2D animation industry with extensive experience on features, TV, commercials, and theme park installations.Read full bio
If you're unsure which course or class option is right for you, just fill out an enquiry form, let us know what's on your mind, and our student admissions team will be happy to help. We look forward to getting you started on your journey and welcoming you to the vibrant and supportive CG Spectrum community!